Friday, August 30, 2013

Angel's How To: Sparkle Phone case!!


It's craft time! Today's craft is how to glitter a cell phone case!


Those of you who know me know that I love things that glitter! From my awesome sequin shoes or my many sequin shirts and skirts! I also have an awesome purse that is sequined on one side! I figure we are only here for a short time so why not shine! I will go out leaving a trail of beautiful glitter behind me!
 Okay, my inspiration for a glitter cellphone case came from Pinterest, of course! I saw a glitter everything pin that featured a cell phone case! YES!!! PLEASE!!! So, of course, I did my own... with a twist!

Here are my sequin shoes!
I saw that the blogger had used a high quality glitter. I love that, but I did not have a good glitter on hand! So, since my case is ugly and gross anyway, I decided to see if a big chunky glitter would work! That way I can know for future projects! 

Here is what I used:

Mod Podge
Paint brush
bowl
glitter (from the Dollar Tree)
phone case
Some sort of spray sealer ( I had a mod podge acrylic sealer on hand)

I switched out the sponge for a regular paint brush.
1. Mix your podge and glitter in a bowl. I used about one part podge and two parts glitter. I used more glitter so that it would cover more of the case. This way I didn't have to apply 50 coats!

2. Spread mix evenly over your case, just remember to remove it from your phone! 

3. Wait 20-30 minutes for the coat to dry, then repeat the steps again until you achieve your desired coverage. Just remember that it won't look pretty yet! It will have a white glue look, but don't worry, it will dry clear.
a couple layers in with glue showing

4. Once you have finished applying the glitter and your final layer has dried, take it outside and seal the deal. Using your sealer, spray a nice even coat so the glitter is sealed on. Once it's dry you can put it back on your phone and have a brand new case!

Here is what I learned from this experience:

1. The dollar tree glitter worked, but I would choose a better, more fine, glitter for my next project. I think that it looks awesome and I love it, but I think a finer glitter will spread easier and have a more even look. Chunky glitter also feels a little bulky, so it is totally your call!

2. You need to have patience! Waiting for it to be done is annoying so do something in between coats! Maybe go make some Cinnamon Vanilla Glazed Popcorn! Whatever you do have fun! 

3. I really LOVE to make things sparkle! This isn't my first glitter project and it won't be my last!

I used a fine glitter for the last coat. I wanted to add a little more sparkle and this one was super sparkly!

Sealer and glitter I used a the end
Thanks for reading and I hope that your projects turn out great! Let me know if you use this method on something different, or what colors you use! Share this with your friends that love to craft. You could even do it at a party with games in between coats!! Have FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment